When choosing custom mailing boxes – including custom boxes designed for posting or courier handling – there are a number of important factors to consider:
Custom Mailing Box Size & Shape
- Standard size mailing boxes for packaging a range of different products – keep within RoyalMail maximum dimensions and courier volume sizes for postable boxes to keep your postal costs to a minimum
- Custom mailing boxes for packaging products of a specific size – preventing damage during transit with a custom postable box or bespoke postal box
- Inserts and fitments can be designed for a perfect fit for irregular shaped products inside, or to add extra protection in transit
Mailing Box Strength
- Corrugated cardboard is widely considered the best material for postal boxes and mailing boxes. It is both lightweight and offers excellent crush resistance. Depending on the size of the box required and the weight of the product inside, we may recommend single wall or double wall board, <1mm to 7.5mm thick
- Custom mailing box style and design – take a look through our guide to popular box styles for inspiration or ask us to recommend a style for your requirements
- Cardboard buffers can be incorporated into our mailing box designs to give your products extra protection, they work just like a crumple zone in a car – the mailing box is designed so that if the box is dropped, the box buffer takes the impact instead of the contents
Printed Mailing Boxes and Your Brand
- Custom printed mailing boxes are perfect for a professional look and feel – there are options for most budgets from 1 or 2 colour screen, or flexo print, to full colour litho or digital print
- Double-sided printing – printing both the inside and outside of your box can be both luxurious and fun for the recipient when the box is opened, but it does add to cost so make sure you specify it when requesting your quote
- Plain mailing boxes – sometimes you don’t want to advertise the contents of your box for reasons of security or discretion
- Budget options – when printing direct to the box is not within budget, you might prefer an unprinted mailing box to which you could apply labels
- Brown mailing boxes or white mailing boxes? The base colour of the cardboard can speak volumes about your business. Brown mailing boxes give the impression of strong environmental values and craft, ideal for handmade or artisan products. On the other hand white mailing boxes are a fantastic base for colourful graphics, with a clean and professional finish
Storage, Assembly and Fastening
- Mailing boxes are generally supplied flat for easy storage. Storing your boxes at your premises may be a problem if space is at a premium. Consider ordering smaller quantities of your custom mailing boxes more frequently, or order a higher quantity and allow us to store your boxes for you. Our storage rates are very competitive and we’re highly responsive, so we could be an effective part of your supply chain, giving you more time to get on with running your business.
- Speed of mailing box assembly can vary greatly from design to design. For larger quantities this is obviously going to be an important factor in keeping your labour costs as low as possible – speak to us for advice
- Fastening strength – there are a few ways to seal a box including integrated cardboard locks in the design of the mailing boxes, tape and glue. We can even offer tamperproof cardboard lock designs
In summary, you should select custom mailing boxes which suit the contents of your parcel. The cardboard mailing box design should protect the enclosed items from damage and be fastened securely to avoid them coming lose in transit. Carefully choosing the correct mailing boxes will help to reduce your business costs in terms of assembly, packing time, postage costs, breakages and loss of your reputation. Getting it right can create a great impression of your company.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I buy custom mailing boxes?
- Measure the contents of the box and consider the delivery date required
- Speak to one of our friendly sales advisors who will help choose a style and production process to suit your requirements – click here to contact us
- We’ll send a quote to you by email
- Order your new mailing boxes, supply the artwork and we’ll send a proof before proceeding to print and cut your custom printed packaging
- We’ll deliver your mailing boxes to you within the agreed lead time
Where can I find a printed mailing box manufacturer in the UK?
WH Skinner are specialists in producing custom printed packaging so we’re the ideal choice for your new mailing boxes. As a mailing box manufacturer near London we are placed to serve the South East and the whole of England. We are a mailing box manufacturer in the UK with good links to the M20, M2, M26 and M25 area.
What are popular universal mailing box sizes?
You can minimise your postal costs by making sure your mailing box conforms to the external sizes below (sizes correct at time of writing)
- Royal Mail Large Letter – Max dimensions 353mm x 250mm x 25mm – Max weight 750g
- Royal Mail Small Parcel – Max dimensions 450mm x 350mm x 160mm – Max weight 2kg
- Royal Mail Medium Parcel – Max dimensions 610mm x 460mm x 460mm – Max weight 20kg
KEY WORDS: Mailing box manufacturer UK, custom mailing boxes, postable boxes UK, printed mailing boxes, mailing box manufacturer London, mailing box manufacturer Kent, local mailing box manufacturer, custom printed packaging, postable boxes London, brown mailing boxes, white postable boxes, mailing box manufacturer Essex